Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Mistake with Commercials

It is a tradition that I started a few years back to rate the Super Bowl Commercials. I did this with my team at Midland National because not everyone was interested in the game itself. We had fun with it. Since I have left Midland, I still pay attention to the commercials. Yesterday, I rated the commercials that I thought were the best on a Facebook post. I was nervous about one of them but included it anyway.

After thinking through the situation, I need to apologize for including the Fiat commercial in my list. I have a long standing rule about crude humor that I abandoned: if you cannot explain the joke/saying to an elementary aged-child without being embarrassed, it is not appropriate. That is why I have edited my previous post. While funny, it was inappropriate in a context where children would be watching.

One of my hobbies is to find out where certain sayings originate. For example, “Three sheets to the wind”, meaning someone is drunk, refers to what a ship needs to do in order to sail against the wind, They need to go back and forth in a zig-zag fashion. This resembles the way a drunk walks. This started because I am a literal person and I deal with children, who are very concrete thinkers themselves and also take a topic and drive it into the ground through repetition. One day, I heard someone use a phrase I had used many times before for someone that was trying to win favor with someone in authority by flattery or service (think a color and the thing you use to smell). It dawned on me, how can I explain this to a child without getting into topics that they should not be talking about?

Some of you may think I am being a prude or too rigid. That is fine; you are entitled to your opinion. In fact, I agree with you. I am being strict. The reason is that our kids grow up too fast as it is. I do not want to be the person that puts those ideas in their heads.


Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment